I'm not sure on which side of the fence I sit on this one, but it's true that asking most professionals for free speculative work would get you laughed out the door.
This campaign to end the creative pitch for advertising work comes from Zak Mroueh's eponymous ad agency Zula Alpha Kilo. He gives five reasons why spec work is ridiculous:
- It may not be an accurate reflection of the agency’s talent roster
- It can be a big, shiny distraction
- It saps resources away from an existing client's account
- It can hinder groundbreaking ideas
- It’s ultimately bad for everyone’s bottom line
Read in more detail and watch the comical film below.